Tuesday 28 October 2014

Class notes October 2011: Ground battles

Starting with swimming and fighting for double underhooks to get warmed up.

Moved on to the double hip takedown from the clinch and ending in side control. I hate takedowns. Not arsed about being takendown but feel out of my depth doing takedowns. Perhaps that is why I do do commit to anything other than a double leg.

Leg passing: One is on the floor, posted defensively and the other is standing over looking to pass into side control. Person on the floor is looking to defend or stand up and escape.

Side control battle: Start in side control. Striking permitted. Person on top has to simply maintain the position. Person underneath needs to escape. I was told by Joe that I was being too gentle with my hits so reluctantly turned up the energy in the strikes.

Bottom control ground and pound: Person defending bottom control simply keeps pounding person with back on the floor who has to defend, sweep or submit. Final part of the session we were all brought together and I got to work with Tasio towards the end of his first lesson. Upward and downward shoulder rotation from side control. Key learning points were maintain the angles of 90 degrees. In upward grab his and your own wrist as close to the hand as possible, paint a straight line with the back of the hand on the floor

No comments:

Post a Comment