Tuesday 28 October 2014

Class notes: April 2012: lifts from the clinch

Joe started us off with a clinch warm up looking for primary grips then without using the hands. Without the hands is harder but requires a different set of skills. I found myself using my head and spine as a third limb. From this I can conclude that I should be doing this when allowed to use the hands. Simply makes control much more effective. Now I have a better understanding of Randy's dirty boxing where he used his head to pressure the opponent against the fence to enable striking and control at the same time. We then moved onto positional grappling without using the hands to hold or grip. Chris knees me in the eye for a shiner. Purely accidental as happened in transition in movement. 48 hours on my right eye lid looks like a strutting peacock. Single leg attacks: a drill we have looked at quite a lot recently. I am getting better at dropping and driving with my eyes up. Know that the knee or him at the end of the shoot so stay posture positive. Light bare hand strikes were then added to keep attack positions appropriate and not sloppy.

Lee then began his part of the lesson by teaching us a series of clinch lifts from the level 2 syllabus Lower back lift Double hip lift Side hip lift Rear hip lift For each of the lifts it is important to keep the elbows in tight and to lift from the legs. Use the whole body and not just the arms. We then had some time to practise chaining the lifts in any order of our choosing to make the learning deeper as opposed to patterned. The learning was then taken to the ground to employ the same methodology to side control escape. Ensure double underhooks control with your back on the floor and that the forearm is into his hip crease. This will enable more effective escapes as you will control his centre and his hips.

No comments:

Post a Comment