Tuesday 28 October 2014

Class notes January 2012: side control, triangles and sparring

• Side control battle. Player in side control was simply holding the position with relative strength and control. Player on their back had to escape to bottom control. For me this is all about movement and aliveness. If I am still on the ground then my opponent can keep me there all day long. If I am pressuring his head, exploding my hips continually and looking for and creating gaps, then I have a very good chance to escaping the side control. It is absolutely knackering but vital to keep moving. Simply put it makes life harder for the person attempting to control you.

• Inner leg with shoulder suppression detail. Lee went over it great detail and I will inevitably miss one or two. The ‘with’ part of the technique refers to using part of his body. In this case the shoulder under his chin. We worked from bottom control and opponent helped to drill the technique by looking to pass guard by under hooking one leg and thus giving the move up to you. Suppression occurs on either side of the throat and not the side of the neck. It is a blood to brain inhibitor. Chokes inhibit oxygen and are on the front of the neck. Capture own shin behind his head as soon as inner thigh on neck. Have own lower leg across the back of his neck, perpendicular to your hips. Ankle not foot under crease of knee – ensure a tighter control. Heel of top leg at his side and not on his back. Hip up to get his arm across, feed it necessary during the hip up. Pull down on back of head to speed up the suppression. To close even more, hook your arm around the opponent’s leg that is on the same side as your inner thigh on his neck. Most people perform the suppression square on to opponent. By turning to look down your leg that is over his neck it closes the suppression very quickly thus his chances of escape are dramatically reduced.

Whilst a converted admirer of the naming convention the next development of the suppression was most exciting both in terms of name and how it is applied. The development was called inner thigh and fist suppression. AKA the Ninja choke. It did, and now 24 hours on make me smile for the pure silliness that a move could be called the Ninja choke. How trained stealthy killa... This has been done to me a few times by more experienced people at the class and I never had the sight or sense to feel it. It crept up on me. Push the head to open the neck and insert the fist palm up. Aim to get the little finger just on the side of the windpipe and this should ensure the flat of the fist pressuring the arteries to stop blood to brain flow. It is a fast and painful way to close the submission. Lee expressed surprise at how infrequently this is seen in MMA. My own feelings are that people might not even know it. In 3 years of BJJ I never saw anyone use the fist in this way, gi or no gi. Now that I have been shown it, had it done to me and applied it in sparring it almost seems like one of the most obvious things to do.

• In addition to the inner thigh with shoulder suppression detail, Lee talked about setting it up by taking mind away by attacking other parts of the body. One example was attacking from bottom control with the inner forearm choke, they go to defend and you cheekily slide the leg over to begin their demise. To me these are grappling fakes and tonight was the first time that I understood what this meant. I knew such things existed as I fall for them all the time but could never spot them. Through drilling tonight then being more aware in sparring I managed to use and save myself from at least one submission as I knew I was being ‘faked’. Perhaps faked is an inappropriate term because if the set up attack is successful then a quicker end to the fight. For me the point of this part of the learning is that I can now play and discover what attacks will elicit what response in order to facilitate another attack rather than move 1, fails go to next move etc. Now it has become a game of chess and strategy more than a reactionary analogy of table tennis.

Sparring: • Hold down and submit or get up and escape (with strikes). Managed to apply the inner thigh and fist suppression as well as chest trap from top position. Looked for the bicep compression from top control but Neil was way too smart to allow that to happen. Rolled with Lee as well. He reported that I did well defensively and used the head with improved effect. Still at times too tense. Softer, softer, softer.

No comments:

Post a Comment