Tuesday 13 January 2015

class notes: GSP's takedowns and side control submissions

GSP's takdowns chaining

Lee has done extensive research and found the following pattern or theme to his takedowns.

Double leg
Single leg drag
Knee pick and drive
Shoulder drive

We looked at chaining them as a series but also as possible individual takedowns. I guess we need to be solid with each one. If each one works then use it but if not it can set up the next one. The subtle thing about this series is just that, each one leads to the next.




Submissions from inverted side control - using the legs.

inverted side control whilst holding your own leg

switching positions from side to inverted

Elbow extension by hooking with the top leg

Shoulder rotation

Elbow extension as he escapes the shoulder rotation by crossing the legs

Attacking the elbow extension straight away from inverted by hooking your ankle over the wrist

free form with Craig and Patrick (beared)
This was my first roll with Patrick and was, with all the lads at Promai, most enjoyable and a great learning experience. For me tonight I learned not to panic as Patrick went for knee bar after knee bar. He also gave me great feedback on with my inner forearm choke from bottom control did not succeed. Verbal feedback is a key part of the learning process for me and will help me to limit the mistakes of today the next time I am on the matts.

No comments:

Post a Comment